A church steeped with Jesus’ life, love & passion.
As one travels along the Cortalim-Vasco highway, a little before the Chicalim-Airport Junction, tucked away from the usual hustle and bustle, a by lane on a steep slope, leads one to the majestic ‘Igreja de São Francisco Xavier’ or ‘St. Francis Xavier Church’ otherwise popularly known as Chickle Igorje and is located in the midst of sylvan surroundings in the cusp of nature.
The number of Catholics in the Parish is estimated at around 2500.
The Feast of the Patron is celebrated on the 3rd of December every year with great fervour and devotion.
The Chicalim Church was erected by virtue of a Provision dated 16th October, 1625 and was managed by the Jesuit Society. Initially, the Church (now in ruins) was dedicated to St. Bartholomeu. Due to reasons, not entirely clear, the Church, was later rebuilt in 1747 at the present location.
It was Blessed on 17th July, 1747 and dedicated to St. Francis Xavier. As a link between the former and the later, the feast of St. Batholomeu, is celebrated on 24th August, every year and is marked by the traditional cutting of the new harvest (Novidade).
The Religious orders include The Society of the Catholic Apostolate Pallottines (SAC), The Congregation of Christian Brothers (CFC) and The Order of Discalced Carmelites (OCD).
The Society of the Catholic Apostolate Pallottines (SAC) is based at The Pallotti Home, The Congregation of Christian Brothers (CFC) is based at Regina Mundi and the Order of Discalced Carmelites (OCD) is based at Cloistered Carmel Convent.
Regina Mundi High School, a co-ed institution run by the Congregation of Christian Brothers (CFC).
Retreat Home and Minor Seminary
The Retreat Home and Minor Seminary of The Society of the Catholic Apostolate Pallottines (SAC) – popularly known as The Pallotti Home.